English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

July 2 2014, Wednesday  

To tell or not to tell

 I am that kind of person who writes own feelings all over the face and verbalizes thoughts without modifications. Of course, experience has taught me hard lessons that I cannot simply pour my heart out to anybody anytime anywhere I happen to be.  I have to practise euphemism and delay criticisms preceding each negative comment with two compliments etc. I think all these are absolutely necessary when it is professional relationship we are talking about. 

 


But then when we are among family and friends, we become relaxed and less tactful assuming that we can be our true selves. When friendship develops, conversations become more personal. Words become more direct. Do we still have to decide what is to be said and what not? These days, with the widespread use of the smart phones, sharing has become more than just chit-chat. Messages, photos and videos are posted on the Facebook. We used to say “I am telling this to you only!” We might have to think twice. When friendship falls out, secrets might be broadcast for the whole wide world to know! 

 

Maybe we should re-visit George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four written in 1949 or The Truman Show, by Andrew Niccol written in 1998.