English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

January 10 2014, Friday  
Tom Sawyer

Statistically speaking, Hong Kong students read a lot. Well, that is one of the performance indicators looked into when External School Review Team visits schools. But as teachers, we well know the quality of our students’ reading is not that ideal. Like any other activities they are engaged in, many students are doing it for the sake of getting it done.
One of my favourite questions I ask applicants on the occasion of Secondary 1 admission interview is: “You have been doing this one article per day for quite some time. Please tell me about one of the articles you have read?” Very often, the reply is “I have forgotten.” This is the same reply I get when I ask applicants who have been practising piano to introduce to me one of their favourite music pieces.
Reading, to most of our students, is an assignment, a book report. It is not enjoyment as evidenced by the fact that if given a choice, they tend to pick easy books to read.
This morning, I recommended to my students The Adventures of Tom Sawyer written by Mark Twain in 1876. Tom Sawyer, modeled on Twain, was a young boy growing up along the Mississippi River. The plot is intriguing and the book is not exactly difficult though students might need some help in understanding the setting as this is absolutely unfamiliar to our urban students.
To help students, teachers themselves have to be reading! Books, of course!