English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

January 9 2014, Thursday  
Freckles


I grow up in a family of eight children. I am the only child with freckles all over my face. I was truly upset with this “addition” of unwanted pigments on my cheeks. Now as I grow older, age spots come in creating patches!


When I was a little girl, my mother would give me pieces of egg-plants, cucumber and lemons as she was preparing food saying that these slices could help lighten those undesirable spots. I obediently followed the advice.
As I went on to middle age, I asked my family doctor whether I should receive laser treatment to remove the unsightly speckles. He said the words which I can still remember today. “Freckles make you look young.” What a comfort to know!

Since then, I have bravely accepted my freckles. Though I still put on whitening essences and creams, I have never for one moment considered any kind of abrasive treatments.

I can understand why the celebrities are trying every means to retain their young looks because as I look into the mirror and see my thinning hair, I feel disheartened. I don’t have to count on my looks for a living and after all, I have never been beautiful. Yet, I still feel saddened. For those who have been born beautiful and have their looks adored by fans, how are they to face aging? They resort to botox and every available means to keep their pride.