English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

January 21 2014, Tuesday     
                                                       Sales pitch

I wonder if you have ever had this experience of being bombarded by sales pitches. These days, they attack in the form of cold calls or direct pitches as you stroll past the counters of department stores.

“Hello, Miss, how are you? My name is Anna. I am the customer officer of XXX Beauty Parlour. You have been selected as our VIP to enjoy a free facial and body massage. You can make the booking now. Oh, you don’t want to? But this is free?”

“Hi, how are you? I am John. I am the representative of XXX Bank. We can offer you a loan of up to $100,000 at no interest. We only charge handling fees. Oh, you don’t want it? But there is no interest at all! How about taking this loan as a stand-by fund for investment? You can make a lot of money out of nothing! You don’t want it? Strange!”

“Hey, Miss. Oh, you have so many freckles on your cheeks. Have you ever tried any cream? You have? Then your cream is no good! Come and let me show you our cream! Don’t be shy! This is free!”

I am angry at two issues: when has my phone number become common property to be trampled on by anybody who takes an interest in making a call? I don’t believe it has been random! Second, when have I become obligated to try everything free?