English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

January 25 2014, Saturday   

                       Songs

 Our brain works strangely. Old songs don’t just bring back vivid pictures but also the scent associated with the scenes. It is said that everybody has a song in his or her head. In my case, I have several and all from the 1960s when I was barely 20.


I bought a record player with my first pay cheque as a birthday gift to my father. The first record was a single - San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair) sung by Scott McKenzie. The scene was my father sitting in the armchair and the scent was his Camel cigarette. He would play it again and again! I was so enchanted by both the tune and the lyrics that I swore I would visit San Francisco. That only came true in 1988. Here is how the song begins:

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

The next one is Massachusetts sung by the Bee Gees. My mother loved the song saying that the boys were all so handsome. The scene was my mom cooking and humming and the scent was aroma of the pork stew, my favourite dish. Here you go, the beginning of the song:

Feel I'm going back to Massachusetts,
Something’s telling me I must go home.
And the lights all went out in Massachusetts
The day I left her standing on her own.


The last one is Kiss Me Goodbye sung by Petula Clark. This song was so popular in 1968 that every record shop was blasting it out loud. Then in where The Shun Tak Centre is now was the old Macau Ferry Piers with the Sheung Wan night market in front of it. Cooked food stalls where people enjoyed their hot-pots in open air almost filled the whole space. It was winter and chilly but the steam and the noise brought warmth. Big plates of vegetables and seafood were piled one on top of another. I could still smell the succulent crabs boiling in the hot soup! This song beautifully and concisely sums up the feeling of lost love. Here are some lines of the lyrics:

So kiss me goodbye
And I'll try not to cry
All the tears in the world won’t change your mind
There’s someone new
And she’s waiting for you
Soon your heart will be leaving me behind