English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

April 28 2014, Monday     
 Experience

It was Sunday morning and I was, as usual, going to Tsim Sha Tsui for my weekly indulgence of facial treatment and body massage. I like taking the train instead of the MTR as there are fewer stops. At around 8:10, I got off the mini-bus at Kowloon Tong station and walked to the platform for the East Rail train heading for Hung Hom to change to the West Rail for Tsim Sha Tsui. I was very pleased to see a train there with doors open. I thought I was lucky as I did not have to wait. But my happiness came too soon.


The doors remained open and passengers began to get off. Then there was the announcement that the train would be shortly delayed. I was not in a hurry and stayed. Time passed and still the same announcement was repeated. I thought I had to decide. So I followed other passengers and got off to take the MTR.

By the time I arrived at Tsim Sha Tsui Station, there was the broadcast of the suspension of East Rail services due to a signal failure resulting in the MTR's operations control center "being blinded" about the whereabouts of its trains. I felt lucky that I had made the right decision of alighting instead of trusting the announcement of “shortly delayed”. 

 

Every time, these announcements end with “apologies for the inconvenience caused”. But for passengers especially those who are going to work in the morning, every minute counts. Train delay means their being late for work resulting in loss of bonus or penalty. What good is the apology to them?

 

I am all for the increase of fines for train service breakdown and for the highly-paid senior management be penalized with their bonuses deducted. Pay cheques have to come with accountability!