English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

April 9 2015 Thursday           
Life is like a stage?

I like driving not because I have one of those fancy sports cars that races along highways. Mine is only a Honda Jazz. I enjoy the feel of immersing myself in the tunes and lyrics of my favourite oldies. But at times, I would listen to the radio music programmes so that I would not be too out-dated of the pop charts. Who knows? I might like some of the new tunes.

 It was nine in the evening on a weekday and the programme was hosted by a popular DJ who has a very soothing voice. As usual, he started off the one-hour programme with his comments on the theme chosen for the evening - “life is like a stage and we are all actors…” He continued by saying that we should dutifully do our part in this play called “life”, that we should be “in” our character and know our lines but if we can get out of our character, we can see more clearly.

 I cannot agree with his views because I don’t believe in destiny. It would be so pathetic waking up in the morning knowing well that “whatever has to happen will happen” and we are but doing what we have been ordained to do.
 
This is very often the case with DJs. The fact that they own that one hour doesn’t mean they can ramble on whatever they like. They have to shoulder their social responsibility. I remember I once heard the DJ of a phone-in programme mocking a caller. “How can a young girl like you be home on a Sunday afternoon? You should be hanging out! You have no friends?”


 Oh well, I turned off the radio and went back to my disc – the Great Pretender by The Platters!



Oh yes, I'm the great pretender
Pretending I'm doing well
My need is such
I pretend too much
I'm lonely but no one can tell