English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

May 2 2015 Saturday            
Salute to those dedicated emergency ward staff

My mother was rushed to hospital at around 3 in the middle of the night two weeks ago. She was feeling dizzy and vomitting. We all panicked but she did not. She even instructed us what to do and what to bring. She was only very anxious to know what was causing her situation. She is 87 and has been diabetic for close to 30 years. 


The emergency ward was quite crowded with most of the patients being the elderly. They were like my mom in stretchers lined up next to one another waiting to be triaged. Two drunkards restrained to the stretchers and accompanied by policemen were mumbling and screaming in extraterrestrial language. All staff was hectically engaged attending to the patients and rushing from room to room.


 There were only a couple of seats with the signage “For patients only”. So we dared not sit and actually stood all those hours while my mother was wheeled from room to room to undergo various tests. At about noon, we were told the verdict. My mother had to be hospitalized to monitor the effect of the injections she was administered.


 The emergency ward is definitely the one place I would not want to be in. In fact, in 1966 I was successful in my application to be a student nurse. But I did not take the offer after careful consideration of two facts. Number One - I could not stand the sight of blood! And I did not know how to say words of consolation. Whenever I visit friends or relatives in distress, I have to keep back my tears! And after this visit to the emergency ward, I can add one more reason – the situation is so stressful that I am bound to make mistakes! And yet every minute has to be error-free as life is at stake.