English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

February 19 2014, Wednesday  

Chinese Medicine


The pain in my stomach was excruciating keeping me awake until almost daybreak. It must be my gall bladder stones reminding me of their presence and complaining that I haven’t attended to them in all these years! I had to call in sick! In the afternoon, I went to consult my Chinese herbal doctor.

 

In recent years, I choose Chinese medicine and acupuncture for most of my ailments. When I take western drugs in the form of pills, tablets and syrups etc., I feel like I am pumping a lot of chemicals into my stomach. Chinese herbal teas are more natural. I can see what I am drinking. The large packet of roots, barks, leaves, even bugs, rocks and turtle shells work together to bring about gentle but effective healing effects. Now that there is the mandatory registration of Chinese medicine practioners, the quality and safety of the service provided can be guaranteed. There have also been more and more world researches on Chinese medicines. Then there is acupuncture which can do wonders for my chronic muscular pains. 

 

Last summer and winter, I received a total of six treatments of moxibustion therapy which has become quite popular in Hong Kong. On the three hottest days which fell in the two months of July and August and then on the three coldest days in winter in December and January, I had six nail-sized patches of herbs applied on six key acupuncture points on the spine to generate heat so as to boost immunity. The patches were removed after one hour. And I who cough every December did not cough last December – touch wood! The charge for each treatment was $110 but it will be increased to $120 this summer. I know because I placed my reservation already.