English Teachers Are Happy To Share

English Teachers Are Happy To Share

Random Thoughts by Pauline

May 1 2014, Thursday                    
Have Mercy On Them!

One of the highlights of our Ningbo trip (April 18 – 22 2014) was a visit to the Putuo Buddhist  Mountain which is on one of islands of Zhoushan Archipelago in Ningbo. Putuo Mountain with an area of 12.93 square kilometres is one of China’s four great Buddhist Mountains. It is a Five-A tourism destination in China.

That day, we were lucky as it was only drizzling. The mountain would be closed in bad weather. The walk or rather the climb up hill was quite exhausting especially when there were crowds of people including hundreds and hundreds of pilgrims. Hands were all over my back pushing me to move faster. But when I did not have to watch my steps and could spare a moment to look around, I savoured the green mountain with its native vegetation and plunging cliffs and rare rocks inscribed with famous calligraphy. The big bronze statue of Kwan-yin or the Goddess of Mercy shrouded in clouds watching benevolently over all the worshippers did transmit a feeling of mystery and sanctity.

Putuo Mountain is a famous Kwan-yin ceremony centre with a history tracing back to Qin Dynasty. The day of our visit, April 19 was Saturday but not any of those particular days in commemoration of Buddhist events and yet the mountain was bustling with old and young, men and women. Some of these were organized pilgrims in uniforms of grey Taoist robes and geared up with padded knees and palms. They were chanting and performing the “kneel three times, kowtow once” ceremony all the way up the mountain. Among these worshippers were some elderly who could hardly get back on their feet after kneeling down. One old lady was wobbling so much that I couldn’t help offering her my hand. I didn’t know if it was proper for me to disturb her in her “trance”.


Our tour guide explained that these pilgrims were either going up the mountain to ask the Goddess for favours or they were expressing their gratitude because their wishes had been granted. It was believed that the more effort was shown, the more pleased Kwan-yin would be. These pilgrims had to pay several thousand renminbi or Chinese dollars to join.


By the time I was face to face with Kwan-yin, I dared not ask for favour fearing that I would have to be back to thank her once my wish did come true. I might be too old or too feeble to return